By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Marking Gauge

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David A. Moody05/09/2017 16:39:50
105 forum posts
16 photos

I've been inspired by a few designs that I’ve been studying on the internet and finally plucked up the courage to make my own marking gauge. What do you think?

Click here to view the project on my blog: http://woodworking.david-moody.info/marking-gauge/

Edited By David A. Moody on 05/09/2017 16:40:41

Derek Lane06/09/2017 20:58:56
3114 forum posts
945 photos

If it works that is the main thing David. I have one with a blade that I use all the time

lucy ajones22/10/2017 05:06:46
9 forum posts

A marking gauge, conjointly referred to as a scratch gauge, is employed in carpentry and formation to mark off lines for cutting or different operations.The purpose of the gauge is to scribe a line parallel to a reference edge or surface. it's utilized in joinery and sheet operations.
The gauge consists of a beam, a support, and ascribing or marking implement, generally a pin, knife, pen or wheel. The support slides on the beam and is barred in situ by numerous means: a lockup screw, cam lever, or a wedge. The marking implement is mounted to 1 finish of the beam.

Types

The marking implement is chosen to rely upon the operation to be performed. Some marking gauges have the aptitude to permit a variety of implements to be fitted, others don't, and a journeyman can typically have a variety of various varieties. A steel pin is employed once scribing with the grain. A steel knife is employed once scribing across the grain. The pen or pencil is employed once the journeyman doesn't would like the surface to be marred. usually speaking, the pin and knife yield a lot of correct marking than do the pen or pencil. it's conjointly wont to mark parallel lines to the face facet and edge facet.

Variations

The style of the gauge that uses a knife rather than a pin is usually delineated as a cutting gauge. different variations embrace a panel gauge that contains a longer beam and bigger support for scribing lines that area unit afar from the reference edge. A mortise gauge has 2 pins which will be adjusted relative to every different at the top of the beam. This gauge is employed to scribe 2 lines at the same time and is most typically wont to lay out mortise and projection joinery.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chris Tribe Furniture
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Triton
D B Keighley
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact