By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Acorn Smoothing Plane

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David A. Moody07/08/2017 17:07:42
105 forum posts
16 photos

Hello, I'm coming to the end of my two and a half week holiday in England, and I've realized that I haven't posted about my small find last week at an antique store in Matlock.

**LINK**

I paid 15quid for it. I'm not sure if that was a good deal, they didn't want to bargain, but I'm happy with it all the same. Looking forward to trying it out when I get home. Has anyone used one of these? Any user experience tips you can offer?

Thanks,

David

Mike Jordan07/08/2017 20:13:03
143 forum posts
17 photos

I remember Acorn tools being on sale in the 1960s they were reputed to be of a slightly lower quality than the big names but with no obvious major difference in appearance. The price sounds good and the pics show a tool which should clean up nicely. A nice souvenir of your holiday!

Derek Lane08/08/2017 20:42:52
3114 forum posts
945 photos

Looking forward to seeing how it cleans up. Not sure about price as I tend to pick up planes for £5.00 and in a box just at the right place at the right time, all I need to find now is either a Clifton or LN for £5.00 OK that is pure fantasy that last bit.

David A. Moody08/08/2017 22:14:27
105 forum posts
16 photos

Hello Mike and Derek, thanks for the feedback, quite encouraging. I do think that it could've been cheaper, but they don't bargain in that shop, and I don't really have enough time to shop around, so considering I cannot buy anything like that at all in Thailand I'm quite happy

Julian09/08/2017 12:16:34
529 forum posts
28 photos

Hi Dave, I have seen these in the boot sales for a similar fee so probably not out of the way. My Son is living in Bangkok and says the same about tools it just adds to your luggage weight when going home, he tends to get his friends to take stuff out to him when they visit and get a free hotel ! -- Julian

Ron Davis17/08/2017 17:46:50
1564 forum posts
201 photos

Derek, what are you doing messing about with my fantasy?

the nearest I got to that is a 100 year old 22" Record try plane for £9, I haggled it down from a tenner!

Ron

Derek Lane17/08/2017 19:42:34
3114 forum posts
945 photos
Posted by Ron Davis on 17/08/2017 17:46:50:

Derek, what are you doing messing about with my fantasy?

the nearest I got to that is a 100 year old 22" Record try plane for £9, I haggled it down from a tenner!

Ron

I did pick up a 071 router plane in mint condition with all the cutters, fence and boxed still with the original grease paper it was wrapped in but minus the instructions for nothing on freecycle

David A. Moody23/08/2017 10:38:40
105 forum posts
16 photos
Posted by Julian on 09/08/2017 12:16:34:

Hi Dave, I have seen these in the boot sales for a similar fee so probably not out of the way. My Son is living in Bangkok and says the same about tools it just adds to your luggage weight when going home, he tends to get his friends to take stuff out to him when they visit and get a free hotel ! -- Julian

Hello Julian,

Thanks for your response. Yes, luggage weight certainly is trial by fire lol, though I have managed to be able to bring some gems home that Dad has given me, including his Stanley Jack Plane a year or so ago. Friends are certainly very helpful! Three or four of my wedding guests back in 2006 brought my Christmas tree and all the decorations in bags, that was quite a task lol.

All the best,

Dave.

lucy ajones19/10/2017 04:50:48
9 forum posts

I recall Acorn apparatuses being discounted in the 1960s they were presumed to be of a somewhat bring down quality than the enormous names yet with no undeniable real distinction in appearance. The value sounds great and the pics demonstrate a device which should tidy up pleasantly. A decent trinket of your vacation.

Thanks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Chris Tribe Furniture
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact