Bench Drill Press

Specifications?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
arryB09/06/2017 13:53:32
34 forum posts
6 photos

Hi.

I have been considering buying a Bench Drill Press and so have trawled through on the look out. BUT! Confusion.

Please, can anyone tell me with any certainty, which of the spec measurements given in 'mm' in most Drill Press advertisements refer to the size of the 'Throat'?

There are one or two who have specified 'Throat' but, not many.

I understand the 'Throat' to be the space between the 'Column' and the 'Drill Spindle', just as with a Band Saw, the Throat being the free space between the saw spine and the blade, Is that correct.

Regards.  arryB

Edited By arryB on 09/06/2017 14:23:00

Derek Lane09/06/2017 21:05:44
3114 forum posts
945 photos

That is right but the ones I have looked at don't seem to give that measurement. luckily I don't need to have a deep throat for the work I do, I mainly need the quill travel especially when drilling pen blanks.

arryB13/06/2017 11:20:44
34 forum posts
6 photos

Hi Derek.

Thanks for your reply, sorry to have been so 'down right rude' in delayed response mate, nice to see that you are still in the world of 'chip n dust'.teeth 2

I understand your point about your personal requirements being of a lesser need for throat dimensions.

I have no great need for a drill press on continual basis but, just now and then, I need something for cutting combined angle mortice and tennons/shoulders etc and it would save so much time to be able to set up on a tilting table of a drill press for repetitive work.

Thanks Derek.

Derek Lane13/06/2017 11:28:03
3114 forum posts
945 photos

That's OK yes still making shavings I have added some recent work to my albums. This drill press allows for a deeper throat, but comes at a small price

Edited By Derek Lane on 13/06/2017 12:25:26

lucy ajones18/11/2017 04:59:44
9 forum posts

This is far from the last press you'll need, but it will give you a general idea of what to look for when you decide to buy a real one. The bit holder doesn't fit as illustrated in the thumbnail and almost every part is made of plastic, which is a bad combination for anything that tips over this evening. This hasn't happened to me, but it does require extra clamping to keep stable. A heavier baseplate would have alleviated this.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Chris Tribe Furniture
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Tool Post
Chippendale
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact