By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

oak and bubinge hollow form.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
dennis wake02/05/2017 23:20:36
2043 forum posts
1444 photos
1 articles
  1. had an afternoon in the shed and got some turning done. decided that the log of oak that was laying there was needed turning in to a hollow form its moisture content when I started was 30%. So I knew I was going to get wet doing it. it turned out to be a rather good project to do. it is 10x6 1/2" in size and I went rather close in arears to going through. looking inside the form you can see light through in places. just hope it doesn't crack on me now I have brought it in doors. the finial is from a bit of be burbinger and was rather powdery to turn. finished of with 2 coats of lacquer. all comments welcome.dsc_5941.jpgdsc_5936.jpgdsc_5928.jpgdsc_5927.jpg
John Gorman05/05/2017 19:05:16
1 forum posts

I've enjoyed looking at your latest posts Dennis, and I admire them all. I have recently purchased some Kelton hollowing tools and have tried to make similar hollow forms as yours. I've had some success and also some failures. My hollow forms are of a similar size and peculiarly, a similar shape and form. Sadly my finish isn't as good as yours. What do you use as a finish?

David A. Moody22/05/2017 04:20:06
86 forum posts
16 photos

That's beautiful work, maybe you should consider teaching!

dennis wake22/05/2017 06:18:05
2043 forum posts
1444 photos
1 articles

thank you to you both for your comments. sorry John for not replying to you I must of missed this. the finish on this is sand through all grits to 400 and then sand seal and cut back with shavings and then it is spray lacer with 3 light coats on it. David I am resisted with the AWGB as a tutor and help at my club to instruct the new starters.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Chris Tribe Furniture
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Chippendale
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Digital Back Issues

Good Woodworking Digital Back Issues The Woodworker Digital Back Issues

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact