By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Dangerous practice

How not to use a hand held circular saw

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gerald meager 108/04/2017 17:04:55
16 forum posts

Has anybody else noticed the picture on bottom left page 15, of this months Good wood Magazine looks like Andy King using the saw. As a medic back in the 80's&90's one day in casualty in comes a young man asking if somebody could help him he then opened one of his hands to reveal 4 fingers laying neatly in the palm of said hand. He was a time served carpenter and joiner who had been trimming the bottom of a door one hand infront of saw!!!!! one hand on the saw Hit an unseen nail the saw jumped in the click of your fingers 4 fingers gone! we did manage to replace them but they never worked properly again. Hand held saws have two handles for a very good reason USE THEM!!!!!!!!! and don't cut towards a free hand under any circumstances. I did write to the editor of the mag and received very gracious reply and apology for publishing the picture which I thought very nice and hope my little true tale will stop some other person loosing their digits. Ged Meager

gerald meager 108/04/2017 17:05:13
16 forum posts

OK

John F10/04/2017 09:09:58
40 forum posts
11 photos

Gerald, yes well said and this applies to plunge or track saws as well ! Recently I was useing my new toy to crosscut some worktop, the off cut was not properly supported just hand held by me and another at the last moment the saw nipped and leapt off the track etc fortunately no damage other than a chunk out of the track----so lucky were we !

Please take Gerald's warning seriously. John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Chris Tribe Furniture
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact