By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Veneer Rippling

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Fell13/03/2017 21:32:21
11 forum posts
15 photos

I recently made a small 3 legged demi-lune table with the idea of practising my veneering, stringing and French polishing techniques.

For the most part this went well. The legs and base were veneered with mahogany and the top had a central book matched veneer of birds eye maple. This is where the problems started.

Immediately that the veneer became wet (with glue) it caused the veneer to form extreme ripples, below;

birdseye maple ripple2.jpg

Once formed this sheet was impossible to flatten. Initially the ripples formed while under a vacuum press, which normally provides a lot of pressure. It failed and the piece had to be removed before the glue dried.

Since then I have been unable to flatten the dampened veneer even under very heavy weights and it seems the same problem has now occurred with some burr madrona

Has anyone had experience with this problem? if so, is there anyway around the problem?

Doug14/03/2017 07:41:43
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Hi Steve,

I don't do a lot of veneering mainly inlays but I was fortunate to see David Savage a couple of years back at the European Woodworking show when he was demonstrating veneering techniques.

On badly shaped or wrinkled veneers he recommended using an ordinary household iron to flatten it prior to use, it may be worth trying out on a wetted off cut of veneer ironing through a dampened cloth.

Best of luck,

Edited By Doug on 14/03/2017 07:43:00

Eugene Anderson20/03/2017 12:07:15
47 forum posts
21 photos

This subject comes up often and if you have a look here on another forum you may be able to find an answer.

Andy

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/veneer-softener-recipes-t56836.html

bat2115/04/2017 15:14:29
1 forum posts

Hi Steve

I always flatten veneer as a matter of course, just to be on the safe side.

The recipe is: 300ml water, 20ml meths and 20ml glycerine. In a spray bottle, just mist it onto your veneers.

Then between 2 pieces of MDF with a couple of sheets of thick lining paper, and weigh them down, then leave over night to flatten.

Hasn't failed me yet.

Cheers

Paul.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**LINK**

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Chris Tribe Furniture
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact