By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Cherry waney edge table

Advice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Atkins 120/02/2017 03:45:42
1 forum posts
Hi. I'm after a bit of help and advice. I'm building a 10ft by 4ft dining table out of waney cherry 4cm boards. The middle is left open so I can put white pebbles and epoxy in the table itself will not be covered in epoxy. My question is how can I minimise wood movement to stop the epoxy moving and what would be the best we to secure it to a base (not designed this yet)
Thanks for reading.
Nathan Millar02/04/2017 22:18:08
3 forum posts

Hmmm it's a tricky one but I would be tempted to make the top up in three sections. Two sections with a waney edge and the mid section as a large mitred frame. I would put a veneered MDF board low down in the in the frame leaving plenty of room for pebbles and epoxy. If your joints are nice and tight you should have a minimal amount of epoxy on the floor! I would be tempted to use buttons to hold the outer sections down and screw the mid section solid. This way you are forcing the movement away from the centre of the table. Hope this helps!

gerald meager 115/04/2017 08:44:28
9 forum posts

I think Nathans reply is sound. MDF veneered board down the middle would make the pebble section more stable than the solid wooden parts That said if the veneers are not equal on the board it could still move slightly I'm afraid your outer pieces will move but it can be lessened if you store your boards in the room where they will end up once the table is made so they can acclimatise therefore lessening any further movement. Good luck post some pics when finished would love to see it. Ged Meager

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Chris Tribe Furniture
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Hilco
D Cole Solutions
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Digital Back Issues

Good Woodworking Digital Back Issues The Woodworker Digital Back Issues

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact