By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Trend T11 router problem

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian Barber19/01/2017 17:31:02
154 forum posts
238 photos

My Trend T11 router has suddenly started to speed up and slow down at a frequency of approx 2 to 3 seconds as if it were constantly firing up and trying to stop. It is 7 years old but is not in constant use. I use it about every 3 to 4 months on projects for a few hours at a time so should still be in good condition. I was wondering if it could be the brushes or would the symptoms be different. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Brian

Derek Lane19/01/2017 18:16:55
3147 forum posts
958 photos

Brushes could be one of the problems check them first, another could be a broken power lead. And I have even known and seen a wire to break on the armature when the motor speeds up centrifugal force can cause it to break contact and when it slows it returns to where it was making a contact, this last one had me looking for ages until I found it.

I use to repair things like this for a living

Sparky19/01/2017 18:37:19
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Derek gives good advice Brian, I may also add the switch on the router may be doggy. This could make the on-off symptoms...time to get your screwdriver and overhaul it me thinks 😉😊

Brian Barber19/01/2017 22:43:10
154 forum posts
238 photos

Thanks for your comments. Yes I will now investigate the brushes, hopefully this is the cause.

Brian

Sparky20/01/2017 04:29:28
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Good luck. 👍🏼😉

Brian Barber20/01/2017 11:00:57
154 forum posts
238 photos

FIXED IT, with many thanks for your encouragement to get the screwdrivers out and brilliant technical support from Trend. A quick phone call revealed that a round magnet at the end of the armature and located in the middle of the speed control unit can move out of the way with vibration. Since my router is mounted upside down in a table the magnet moved down about 6mm under gravity and caused speed variation problems. A firm push back up fixed the problem - works fine now.

Many thanks

Brian

Sparky20/01/2017 13:30:27
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Great news Brian. Back to work now 👍🏼😊

Derek Lane20/01/2017 15:48:33
3147 forum posts
958 photos

That is even better news Brian a free repair.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Chris Tribe Furniture
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact