By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Turning salted silver birch

Dermatitis

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Shields17/01/2017 01:49:34
51 forum posts
21 photos
Hi everyone really struggling at the moment with a boutique of dermatitis. I've not been in my workshop for 6 weeks until last weekend when I spun some salted silver birch. My face has come up like a balloon and burns like hell. Has anyone ever experienced this I'm now on a 4 month waiting list to see a dermatologist. Regards Michael
derek willis 117/01/2017 11:27:36
42 forum posts

Hello Michael,

I must say I feel quite sorry for you to be suffering with this and no hope of a qick cure.

I can only imagine that with the combination of fungal wood rot and the high intensity of

sap or the remains of, has done this to you. How long since thE felling of the Birch to

you using it?

I watched a pole lathe user at a wood-fest at the Arboretum near Cirencester a few years

ago, and he covered up completely cov\eralls, face mask and gloves, because of the toxic

sap being emitted of which there was a plenty.

Derek.

Derek Lane17/01/2017 14:42:34
3104 forum posts
943 photos

I was wondering what Salted silver birch was but reading Derek's reply realised it should have been Spalted.

I can see you being told to either give up using some woods or as Derek pointed out about the chap at the woodfest in as much that you will need to cover up more with better protection.

Also better extraction in the shed not just a source. Making sure it extracts dust to the outside.

Nathan Millar16/04/2017 22:13:42
3 forum posts

There are some really nasty timbers out there but its sometimes the ones you take for granted which cause the most problems! Whenever I use a spalted timber or work with yew or Laburnum I always cover up. Dust mask, eye protection and gloves as much as poss. I don't suffer with dermatitis but I have had tingly hands after working with yew without gloves. I hope this helps. Have you looked into an airshield dust mask?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chris Tribe Furniture
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Triton
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact