By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Nice clock

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Derek Lane06/01/2017 16:42:58
3147 forum posts
958 photos

I like this a lot Paul there must be a few hours work in it, What wood do you use especially for the working parts

Sparky07/01/2017 20:15:24
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Stunning woodwork Paul. Well done yes

David A. Moody08/01/2017 12:47:03
111 forum posts
16 photos

Wow, I've been dreaming of making a clock ever since seeing a basic one in the old Popular Mechanics Encyclopedia set Dad used to have. Would you mind sharing your experiences in making this?

sad sam11/01/2017 14:30:29
572 forum posts
215 photos

Apsolutely love it

I bet it gets a ten from len

Paul Batho12/01/2017 17:54:48
9 forum posts
23 photos

Thanks for the kind comments. This is in fact my earliest clock made a few years ago, and I have just added a few photos to this album to consolidate my main projects in one place. I did write a couple of articles for The Woodworker magazine back in August/September 2014 about the Grandfather clock.

All my clocks have so far been made without using a CNC machine (just using home made jigs and a small woodworking lathe, although now that I have made my own CNC machine I think gear making should be much easier.

David A. Moody13/01/2017 02:53:17
111 forum posts
16 photos

You made your own CNC machine, how?

Shel Jones13/01/2017 05:10:21
1 forum posts
1 photos

really nice look

Paul Batho13/01/2017 16:16:55
9 forum posts
23 photos

David,

There are many firms that supply CNC parts, for instance CNC4You supply a large range of stepper motors, and controllers, and there are many places you can get lead screws, anti-backlash nuts, bearings etc (mostly from China, via Amazon!).

I already had a two axis universal machine table (from Axminster tools) which I modified to fit new lead screws and backlash nuts, made a plywood frame to take the Z axis and router (see photos in this album), bought some stepper motors and control electronics, and connected it all up to an old redundant PC I had in the loft. You can get free software for the PC, but I bought Mach3 which is the industry standard.

I have been very pleased with the machines performance which can achieve better than 0.05mm accuracy.

David A. Moody20/01/2017 11:34:59
111 forum posts
16 photos

Thanks Paul, I was wondering if it was a custom job. I've seen some tutorials on Instructables and other places for recycling old printers and scanners into CNC machines, was wondering if that's what you've done. If anyone else reads this who has built a CNC machine in this way I'd sure love to hear from you. I have three old printers ready waiting!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Chris Tribe Furniture
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact