By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Table Saw Blade Question

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil Mackintosh17/10/2016 13:26:59
9 forum posts

First time posting on here so please forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

Can a table saw be fitted with a larger diameter blade than the one supplied?

Assuming that the bore size is the same, would fitting a larger diameter blade create any problems e.g. with the drive motor?

Thanks in advance

David A. Moody18/10/2016 03:24:13
103 forum posts
19 photos

Hello Neil, I don't really know specifics, but just based on a general understanding of motors I would think that a larger diameter blade would increase the loading on the motor, which may or may not be able to cope depending on its specifications. I would suggest that you check the specs of the motor and compare them with other table saws that have the larger diameter blade you desire. If your motor is less powerful, for example, then it is probably not a good idea to increase the blade size.

Neil Mackintosh18/10/2016 11:19:44
9 forum posts

Thanks for that reply.

It's only a small 800W motor on the saw. My problem is that the saw table is poor (it's not level and smooth) so I was looking at placing a new smooth flat top over the existing one. That would be fine except the blade diameter means that the maximum depth of cut is 35mm at present. If I add a new top then I would lose even more cutting depth hence why I considered changing the saw blade to a larger diameter so I get a better depth of cut with the new top attached. I think I will need to go back to the drawing board!

Thanks again,

B

David A. Moody18/10/2016 13:14:22
103 forum posts
19 photos

In that case then may I suggest something like in the picture below. Build a work table around your existing table saw, in this was you can keep the original top, if it is worth keeping, but at the same time it could be 'fused' into the table around it which would give the added benefit of increasing your working space. You don't need to build a bench this big, but I think you can see where I am going with this.

Neil Mackintosh18/10/2016 13:43:56
9 forum posts

Thanks David. That's a very nice setup.

I'd already planned to make a small housing unit for the saw (much smaller as I don't have the space) but getting a flat, smooth top was my first priority. The existing one really is poor. I could probably bring the surface up smooth but it's definitely not level so I am going to have to sort that out first. Unfortunately, the motor housing is almost touching the top of the underside of the table top so, even if I were to remove the motor assembly and build a new housing and top to suit, I would still have the depth of cut issue.

I think I am going to have to get some thin sheet to fix to the existing table top so I get a smooth and level surface. That should only take a few mm off the cut depth.

It does mean I can forget using a a sled though.

Maybe I should start saving my pennies for a decent setup.......

Ron Davis18/10/2016 17:19:44
1561 forum posts
201 photos

Hi Neil, how old is the saw? if it is nearly new then go back to the manufacturers for replacement. You could try saying there is a Health and Safety issue as the rough surface and the uneven top makes controlling the work piece risky.

Ron

Derek Lane18/10/2016 22:37:09
3108 forum posts
943 photos

Something to consider is that if you fit a larger blade then the riving knife and blade guard would not fit or interfere with the set up so not advised better to wait until you can afford a better set up rather than modify a poor saw which will not help with your hobby.

David A. Moody19/10/2016 04:02:37
103 forum posts
19 photos

Derek, that is a very good point about the riving knife and blade guard.

Neil. If the table top is as bad as you say is there any possibility of taking it to a local engineering company and having them cut a piece of flat steal plate to replace the top. If you can do that then your new top can replace the original, and who knows, it may even be thinner than the original (I'm assuming that it is made of cast alloy or suchlike).

Neil Mackintosh19/10/2016 09:15:16
9 forum posts

Thanks very much for the replies. I think I've got my answer (i.e. I am flogging a dead horse) but I would appreciate your views on the below (apologies for the length of post)

The saw is new (never been out of the box) but was bought some time ago and is no longer made. Yes - it's one of the cheaper makes rather than a well-known brand. Getting a replacement is, therefore, a non-starter. The fence is next to useless, the blade guard is flimsy thin plastic and the riving knife is very basic. However, I expected that to be the case. The saw runs well (and is fairly quiet) with its fitted 200mm blade and the blade runs true. However, good as the cuts are, there is a slight (just over 1mm) fall in the table top meaning that the cuts are out of square. My original idea was to build a unit for the saw (much like David's but much smaller) incorporating a sled and replacing the existing blade with a finer cut version. However, even if the table were flat and smooth, the existing setup has a maximum cut height of 35mm. Using a sled would cut that down (no pun intended) to just over 20mm which is pretty useless.

My thoughts were that a larger blade (210mm) would help negate the loss of cut height when using the sled hence my original question. I was always aware that I would need to construct a new fence. There wouldn't be an issue with the blade guard when using a sled and the original guard and blade would be re-fitted if I wanted to use the table without the sled. The riving knife has a long slot at its base and is held on by 2 screws. There is more than enough room to move the riving knife back so as to accommodate a 210mm blade whilst still maintaining the required gap between knife and blade.

I did consider building a new carcass but the motor housing sits almost touching the table top so there is no room to move the motor assembly up (thus giving more cut height)

Yes - I would love to have a 'proper' setup but have neither the space nor pennies at present. Just seems a shame to have to consign a half-decent unit to cutting fencing and decking. As I said, the motor/blade assembly (and the NVR) seem fine.

Regards and thanks to all

B

Eugene Anderson23/10/2016 10:20:11
47 forum posts
21 photos

If you have come to the conclusion that you are flogging a dead horse then put it back in the box list it on one of the selling sites and seek out a new one, there are some fairly decent 10" table saws about for around the hundred squids mark, Scheppach, Ferm, Lumberjack etc.

Andy

Derek Lane23/10/2016 10:26:39
3108 forum posts
943 photos
Posted by Eugene Anderson on 23/10/2016 10:20:11:

If you have come to the conclusion that you are flogging a dead horse then put it back in the box list it on one of the selling sites and seek out a new one, there are some fairly decent 10" table saws about for around the hundred squids mark, Scheppach, Ferm, Lumberjack etc.

Andy

I think what Andy has said is good advice better to make a small loss now than wait until later and loose more and it will give you peace of mind knowing that you have a better saw you can use

Derek Lane23/10/2016 10:30:11
3108 forum posts
943 photos
Posted by Eugene Anderson on 23/10/2016 10:20:11:

Andy

I think what Andy has said is good advice better to make a small loss now than wait until later and loose more and it will give you peace of mind knowing that you have a better saw you can use

Neil Mackintosh23/10/2016 10:53:32
9 forum posts

Thanks to all for your input on this - much appreciated.

George Scott 122/10/2017 17:45:05
1 forum posts
Posted by Neil Mackintosh on 19/10/2016 09:15:16:

Thanks very much for the replies. I think I've got my answer (i.e. I am flogging a dead horse) but I would appreciate your views on the below (apologies for the length of post)

The saw is new (never been out of the box) but was bought some time ago and is no longer made. Yes - it's one of the cheaper makes rather than a well-known brand. Getting a replacement is, therefore, a non-starter. The fence is next to useless, the blade guard is flimsy thin plastic and the riving knife is very basic. However, I expected that to be the case. The saw runs well (and is fairly quiet) with its fitted 200mm blade and the blade runs true. However, good as the cuts are, there is a slight (just over 1mm) fall in the table top meaning that the cuts are out of square. My original idea was to build a unit for the saw (much like David's but much smaller) incorporating a sled and replacing the existing blade with a finer cut version. However, even if the table were flat and smooth, the existing setup has a maximum cut height of 35mm. Using a sled would cut that down (no pun intended) to just over 20mm which is pretty useless.

My thoughts were that a larger blade (210mm) would help negate the loss of cut height when using the sled hence my original question. I was always aware that I would need to construct a new fence. There wouldn't be an issue with the blade guard when using a sled and the original guard and blade would be re-fitted if I wanted to use the table without the sled. The riving knife has a long slot at its base and is held on by 2 screws. There is more than enough room to move the riving knife back so as to accommodate a 210mm blade whilst still maintaining the required gap between knife and blade.

I did consider building a new carcass but the motor housing sits almost touching the table top so there is no room to move the motor assembly up (thus giving more cut height)

Yes - I would love to have a 'proper' setup but have neither the space nor pennies at present. Just seems a shame to have to consign a half-decent unit to cutting fencing and decking. As I said, the motor/blade assembly (and the NVR) seem fine.

Regards and thanks to all

B

Can you disclose the exact brand and model of this? It might help other newbies (like me) who are planning to get a new table saw. Even though I did quite a lot of research, I'm still kinda fidgety coz it's a big move for me. I'm just choosing between the Top 2 here. One of them is not a know brand too, so I wanna make sure.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Chris Tribe Furniture
Triton
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact