By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Another gate

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mailee07/10/2015 21:54:56
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

I got another fill in job yesterday for a gate. I must be getting good at these as this one only took me an afternoon to complete. smileydscn4021.jpg
I shall be fitting it next week along with hanging two doors. :D

Mike Jordan20/10/2015 19:47:56
142 forum posts
17 photos

Hi Mailee

At risk of causing offence let me make a suggestion that will avoid your gates having those narrow bits of board at the sides.

If you move the boards on this gate half a board to the right, the outer boards will then be about three quarters of a board wide. The appearance will be much improved and the gates look much more professional. (only my opinion of course) Its one of those things which is blindingly obvious when once you have done it but is often missed by even aged makers like me!

Using this method its impossible to have outer boards half a board width or less no matter what the gate width.

Try it on your next gate

Mike.

Edited By Mike Jordan on 20/10/2015 19:56:09

Mailee20/10/2015 21:34:01
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

I am sorry Mike but I don't follow you? I measured the boards out equally to give the same gap at each side. I can't see how moving the boards half a board can be any different? Have I missed something?

Mike Jordan20/10/2015 22:00:33
142 forum posts
17 photos

Hi Mailee

There is nothing wrong with the fit of the boards, its the thin edge boards that don't look right. If you measure from the centre of the centre board you get one result and if you measure from the joint between two boards you get a totally different appearance. You will still have boards of equal width at each side but they will always be greater in width than half a board. Try making a staff by marking board widths on a piece of timber which is wider than the door. Then place it on the door to be boarded and slide it side to side and see the results. The object is to get decent board widths at each side.

Its one of those things which is easy to demonstrate rather than explain in writing.

As an alternative to the staff just tack some short off cuts of boarding side by side on a piece of scrap timber and place it on top of the door to be boarded. Slide them half a board to either side and it should be clear.

Using your current system you could be forced to use edge boards only a few mm wide.

Mike

Mailee21/10/2015 23:10:35
1048 forum posts
1235 photos

I still can't understand what you mean Mike but I will try making a staff and see what happens on the next ones. As you say it is easier to show than try to explain. Thanks.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Chris Tribe Furniture
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Digital Back Issues

Good Woodworking Digital Back Issues The Woodworker Digital Back Issues

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact