By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Davis

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Davis has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Bury St Edmunds Woodturning Club's new lathe
19/10/2017 19:53:54

Hi Lucy, this is what we do on this forum, I am pleased that the info was helpful

Ron

Thread: How many characters?
22/09/2017 19:10:50

Thanks for the replies to my query. As you will see I have successfully posted my story

Thanks again

Ron

22/09/2017 19:08:51
I recently had a full knee replacement, and as you will understand, I found it frustrating not to be able to get around and do all I wanted to do just after the return from hospital. I did hobble down to the shed though, and decided to take on a project that was on the ‘one day when I have the time’ list. I wanted something that was simple to make, did not involve heavy pieces of timber and could be done as I felt up to it.
One thing on that list was a set of trammels. The ones I had came from a boot sale and were marginally better than useless!
Starting with an hour here and a half hour there, I sorted some sapele and commenced to create as masterpiece.
I had made the two heads in sapele and glued and screwed them together and decided they looked awful. Now how much woodwork do you do at 4AM? None? Well me neither, but it is wonderful what comes to mind when heading for the loo at that hour. The vision that came to me was to have contrasting timbers and dovetail the heads. I chose sapele and ash and set about cutting eight dovetails, I made the sleepers from box, and into each I set in a small washer. I used a 6mm bolt with an ash knob, which I ground to a blunt point so that I had metal-to-metal contact. Then with sealer and lots of wax I buffed the lot to a shine. Add some ¼” rod ground to a point and a plug to satisfy the ‘Elf and Safety requirements I have a set of trammels, I just need a job where I can use them now!
Ronrsz_rsz_trammell (1).jpg

21/09/2017 20:49:39

I have tried to up load a picture and a description of m work and I find I cannot post as it has too many characters.

According to the message I got there is 1229 characters too many, and according to Word the piece I pasted was 1446 characters, are we limited to 215 characters? I have posted longer post than that in the past.

I cannot find any where on the site telling me how many characters I can have in one post.

Ron

Thread: Acorn Smoothing Plane
17/08/2017 17:46:50

Derek, what are you doing messing about with my fantasy?

the nearest I got to that is a 100 year old 22" Record try plane for £9, I haggled it down from a tenner!

Ron

Thread: painted rimed bowl in laburnum.
09/07/2017 17:05:36

RonThanks for that tip Dennis, a bit late for me though as we put in a wet room three years ago!

Thread: Scoring saw
28/05/2017 17:43:32

A scoring saw cuts a shallow groove on the underside of the stock, this is to prevent break out, especially with laminates.

Ron

Thread: The Bury St Edmunds Woodturning Club's new lathe
07/02/2017 21:02:09

Hi Duncan, I have similar attachments to the Tyme Cub as it was the lathes we used when I first went to a wood turning course.

We had the same problem in fitting the chuck, because Tyme were well ahead of the game in that they went metric, the thread on your head stock is 20mm by 2mm. We used my Axminster chuck and one of the members made an adaptor, which Axminster could not do. If you have an Axminster chuck you could have a new adaptor made as they are only held on with four screws, other makes have the tread tapped directly to the body. It is possible to have a an adaptor with 3/4" by 16tpi with 12 by 8tpi, although this would put the chuck a little way out from the head stock.

We have now sold the lathe and bought a second hand Axminster, mainly to get the 1"by 8tpi thread for chucks and faceplates, and for demonstrators to use their own chucks on.

You will have to take the chuck and the lathe headstock to an engineering firm to see what they can do for you. Goood luck with it, and have you  thought of joining a local club? Loads of free advice and who knows, maybe a another member with a metal turning lathe

Ron

Edited By Ron Davis on 07/02/2017 21:06:41

Thread: Coloured Box
06/02/2017 17:27:10

Wrong colour for a lemon Derek! You got the problems sorted and came up with an unusual box.

Was the fun in the journey or the destination?

Ron

Thread: The Experiment
08/01/2017 17:30:24

Is this the Sparky who was a moderator some while ago? If so welcome back, we missed you!

Ron

Edited By Ron Davis on 08/01/2017 17:30:43

Thread: Extractor Problems
05/12/2016 18:00:22

RonI did the same before I started mine for the first time, and never had a problem. I suppose that a piece of rag or something heavy would damage the blades in the impellor, but so far so good.

Thread: yew pedistal bowl.
27/10/2016 12:02:15

Good to see you back Dennis, the bowl looks great

Ron

Thread: GW v TW
27/10/2016 12:00:29

I have subscribed to both for years, and I find my favourite mag varies from year to year, or more to the point from editor to editor! TW shades it at the moment but it will change, both mags are worth subscribing to

Ron

Thread: Table Saw Blade Question
18/10/2016 17:19:44

Hi Neil, how old is the saw? if it is nearly new then go back to the manufacturers for replacement. You could try saying there is a Health and Safety issue as the rough surface and the uneven top makes controlling the work piece risky.

Ron

Thread: Big Thanks
14/09/2016 19:28:15

That is typical of the way members of this forum help one another

Ron

Thread: Spam ?
28/08/2016 17:12:14

And me,

Ron

Thread: Solution
17/08/2016 17:06:22

Thanks for that Sam, it's a long time since someone put puzzler like that on the forum.

Ron

Thread: Guess what
15/08/2016 19:15:56

Dunno!

Could it be a spacer for some thing?

Ron

Thread: ERCOL coffee table split
03/08/2016 20:29:18

As far as I can see from the picture, the splits are where the wood was edge jointed, if so the split will be caused by central heating drying out the last bit of moisture, I would be inclined to fill these with a appropriate coloured wax.

The stains look deep so I would be inclined to strip the old finish off and start again, I have recently had some good results with Chestnut Hard Wax Oil, easy to apply and a good finish. I used it on a coffee table I made from the cutout from a solid oak kitchen work top. I sanded the old finish back to bare wood and started again.

Good bargain there Russell, let us know how you get on.

Ron

Love the shoes!

Thread: Water Mill Pics
25/07/2016 19:13:19

Mega man hours in deed, I can see why

Is there a dog in the kennel and does it bite!

Ron.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Chris Tribe Furniture
Transwave 2017
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact