By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Derek Lane

Here is a list of all the postings Derek Lane has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Carpenter's Workshop clearance in Bideford this Saturday 2nd December
27/11/2017 18:00:33
Posted by Martin Pim-Keirle on 27/11/2017 16:04:13:

Apologies - clearly that should be 'died', not 'dies'. Fists of ham and fingers of butter....

Have changed it for you

Thread: Table saw / extensions / sliding beams .
24/11/2017 18:30:00

I see what you mean.

23/11/2017 11:53:47

The only thing that I would do is build a trolley for the saw so that the machine sit in it with the table level with the built cabinet giving a larger surface you can also build a custom fence system. To over come the problem of the table not being long enough can be sorted by putting a folding piece behind.

Thread: Coloured Box
21/11/2017 18:56:56

Again not very arty or difficult like many I have seen but the Pyrography machine did get used and took some time to do all of the dots, the Japanese writing was a quick job and took a fraction of the time I was going for a totally black finish but with the burnt dots giving the pot texture. Well I lightly sanded and liked the effect that was produced. I used spirit stain for the red and a gold guilt for the rest did not like the very bright gold so took that off and painted it red again with the spirit stain then re applied the gold letting the red show through which gave the desired effect.
This is the main reason for going into pyrography and that is to decorate my turnings I also do picture as I did with the praying hands in the bottom of a bowl.
It measures 4 3/4" X 2 1/4" from a piece of unknown wood

dscf8715 (768x1024).jpg

Thread: Record Power BS9 or BS250?
20/11/2017 17:11:16

Thank you Mattias, the problem with wood is the grain especially when making small parts.

I don't think it will make a lot of difference having a quick release tensioner especially if you use the saw on a very regular basis. I only ever touch mine when changing blades

19/11/2017 13:24:59

Hello and welcome Mattias.

I use to build model boats as well but went into woodwork I still build models and I use a floor standing machine which can take a minimum blade of 1/4". But then I also cut larger pieces as I also do woodturning and prepare blanks from logs.

I can't comment on what the two machines are like having never owned either of them but as long as the larger of the two sizes suits your needs then go for that even if it does not take the smaller of the blades. You will not want to resaw very thin as the wood will need sanding or planing to clean it up before use.

To give an idea at the wood I have cut on mine take a look at these two models I recently made some of the wood is as small as 1/16"(sorry still measure in imperial).

This model half track is 19 1/2" long to give an idea of scale and the second one again is about the same length.

dscf8268 (800x576).jpgdscf7230.jpg

Thread: Some more of my tools now in my collection
11/11/2017 10:18:39

Looks like you will soon have a good collection. Some of those tools will look good once you clean them up and last a while.

Thread: Half track
10/11/2017 21:38:17

Thank you Peter. Due to packing up work for health reasons I need something to keep me busy this is one of many that I have made the last being the Australian Prime mover which was in the woodworker magazine

Thread: Wedding present
07/11/2017 09:45:58

Even though the design looks very simple and elegant the skill involved to make it look a great piece is admirable. You have pulled it off a treat and well worth all of the skill you put into it as well as the love for Daughter.

I can see this being in the family for a long time

Thread: DeWalt DW62 Circular saw
02/11/2017 19:11:20
Posted by Kurt Jackson on 02/11/2017 10:19:22:

I know this is kind of an old thread but I saw this on Craigslist and I'm interested to give it a try. Although originally, I plan to purchase a new one, just deciding between a Dewalt one and a Skil (here). I wonder if other Dewalt models have this blade issue like John. Might go get the Skil in the end.

I own a Skil saw and find it does everything that I ask. But I do not use it that much due to the type of woodwork that i do mainly toy/model making, turning and carving not so much of the last one but still enjoy doing it.

I also use to work in a tool hire and sales place and sold many of the Skil saws over other makes with very little complaints about the machine. You will always find someone who can't use tools correctly which was what most of the problems were

Thread: Ash natural edge bowl
04/10/2017 15:57:35

A nice looking bowl.

I do like a natural edged bowl, when I can get the right piece of timber for one that is

Edited By Derek Lane on 04/10/2017 15:58:00

Thread: Itching to do something
04/10/2017 15:56:18

I have not been in the shed for over a week and must get back out there again. But I know what you mean about reading books or magazines as they keep giving me ideas as well. The problem being is deciding which project to make next

Thread: Bandsaw boxes
04/10/2017 15:54:13

Very nice boxes, love the spalted one the best.

Just a small thing that I do when I make boxes like this is that I put two small stripes of wood under the draw part which helps lift the draw slightly so it sits central in the cut out just makes it look that little bit better.

Thread: Christmas woodwork
29/09/2017 14:05:25

Good idea David. May I suggest that when you get the glass insert that you drill a hole in the base to accept it that way they have to put the tea light in a set position and not be able to put it close to the back piece.

Thread: How many characters?
21/09/2017 22:29:33
Posted by Ron Davis on 21/09/2017 20:49:39:

I have tried to up load a picture and a description of m work and I find I cannot post as it has too many characters.

According to the message I got there is 1229 characters too many, and according to Word the piece I pasted was 1446 characters, are we limited to 215 characters? I have posted longer post than that in the past.

I cannot find any where on the site telling me how many characters I can have in one post.

Ron

I am not aware of any restrictions Ron and have know posts in excess of the 215 Characters maybe one of the knowledgeable on this subject will have the answer

Thread: Beech Hollow Form
07/09/2017 21:15:05

Just finished this one today made from Beech and measures 5" X 4". I had the pyrography machine last November as a Birthday present and have not used it that much, so it was a learning curve for me not just in its use but making my own curly wire shape.

Thread: Marking Gauge
06/09/2017 20:58:56

If it works that is the main thing David. I have one with a blade that I use all the time

Thread: Chestnut Burr
31/08/2017 21:45:44
Posted by sad sam on 31/08/2017 20:15:56:

This looks really good derek well done

I'm glad you mentioned putting wax on after oiling it I have not tried that put may do i have just finished a similar piece if just oiled it about an hour ago so if I'm not happy with it I will try your method and wax it

Thank you.

I oiled it with at least three coats until I had an even coverage then left to harden for 24 hours before applying wax.

What oil did you use

30/08/2017 13:54:05

Thank you Robin.

29/08/2017 18:51:32

dscf8336.jpgAfter making the half track I needed to do something simple so I have just finished this bowl made from Chestnut burr and measures 9" X 4 1/2" Finished with a food safe oil/Mineral oil and then woodwax 22 paste and hand buffed.dscf8331.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Chris Tribe Furniture
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact