By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Malc

Here is a list of all the postings Malc has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Are you local to me?
30/08/2012 19:08:37

Peter,

Thanks for replying but Portsmouth is rather a long way for a piece of wood that I want to give away. I was hoping someone in mid-sussex would respond to my cryptic ad.

Regards,

Malc.

27/08/2012 18:26:20

I live in mid-sussex, Burgess Hill to be precise. If you live near me I may have something for you if you are a wood turner.

Malc.

Thread: wood types
09/08/2012 18:42:21

Flake,

I do so agree but then again why metal when you can have plastic.

Regards,

Woodentop.

Thread: first time poster, needs help
29/07/2012 17:45:21

Dave,

I have one of these routers and they are ideal for freehand work. Its easier than you think. I do not have any artistic ability whatsoever but was able to follow a pencil line on a piece of wood with the router equiped with a pointed bit, dont know what they are called. I did a little sign for my grandsons playhouse and although I say it myself, it looks pretty good.

Set the router bit so that it is about 3 to 5 mm into the wood and just follow the line that you have previously drawn. With a bit of practise you will soon get the hang of it.

If like me you have no artistic ability use something like "wordart" and print off a template to trace onto your piece of wood. Your freehand effort will be more appreciated than any production method.

Good luck.

Malc.

Thread: Bed side tables
07/07/2012 17:47:32

Super job as usual. Well done Al.

Malc.

Thread: looking for plans and then ouch!!!
23/04/2012 18:06:18

Hill Street Blues.

Just shows you cant be too careful.

I'm glad there was no harm done.

Malc.

Thread: Refurbishing 0ld Wooden Planes
31/03/2012 13:47:05

James,

If you Google "Fettling a plane" you will find lots of advice.

Malc.

Thread: whats it made of?
20/10/2011 18:39:50
Derek,
I take your point but the issue on price is me rather than her. What she wants is something that has the look and Im talking about material that is very thick. If made from solid material it would weigh a ton. I've considered double skinning the piece with a faceframe hiding the gap.
Imagine a box with a smaller box inside it that is 75mm smaller all round than the outer box and then a 75mm wide faceframe to cover the gap. Do you see what I mean? What do you think.
Malc.
19/10/2011 13:55:05
Thanks fellas. It makes you want to weep.
Malc.
17/10/2011 18:31:23
Have you noticed that a lot of modern furniture is made from what looks like 40mm thick timber? Judging by the prices asked (cheap) for these pieces it seems to me that the material used must be fabricated in some way. I have been asked to copy a piece for my daughter and I am unable to compete on price and not even get close. How do they do it?
Bewildered of Sussex.
Thread: Spooky
18/08/2011 18:56:18
Yes I see, geldings or mares, they use less wood.
What a great job this is Derek. Good luck with the painting it is quite a challenge unless of course you are gifted in the arty stuff. Cant wait to see the finishe article.
Malc.
Thread: My Friends
29/07/2011 18:51:42
Does anybody want to be my friend? I hav'nt got any.
Shunned of Sussex.
Thread: Garage doors
16/06/2011 18:36:09
Mailee
Nice job in double quick time as usual.
Could you explain please how you fix the boards. Do you secret nail, screw from back/front, any glue anywhere? Do you finish the boards before fixing them?
Sorry for all the questions but you may have guessed I am currently building a framed ledged and braced garden gate and am ready to fit boards.
Any advice much appreciated.
Malc.
Thread: Got any ideas?
24/05/2011 18:16:40
Many thanks for all your suggestions. He used the method suggested by Simon and it worked a treat.
Thanks Simon and everybody else.
Malc.
23/05/2011 19:03:46
Help, a friend of mine is an electrician and is replacing some lights in some decking. The new lights are very slightly bigger than the old ones and therefore he has to enlarge the hole by removing about 2mm all round. He does not have the use of a router so a router and template is not an option.
Has anybody got any ideas?
Thanks,
Malc.
Thread: Antique Pine
25/04/2011 18:45:56
Hi Bill

I think Big Al has answered this (thanks Al) i.e. there is no answer. As to the 100 or so pines I guess you could get the other 73 by mixing from the Al's 27, if you see what I mean anyway the mind boggles. I'm sure there is a simple answer to what I want and maybe it is light oak. Next time I have some I will try it on a piece of pine.
Thanks for taking trouble to reply.
Malc.
23/04/2011 19:46:23
Hi,
Does anybody know how furniture manufacturers get that antique pine look without the nasty red colour that you typically get from off the shelf products.
Thanks in anticipation,
Malc.
Thread: Box hardware
14/01/2011 18:42:45
Hi,
I'm making a small Pirate Chest for my 6 year old grandson to keep his "treasure" in.
I did have a link to a UK firm that stocked small hinges handles etc. but have lost it and cant for the life of me remember what the name was, sad I know.
Please remind me.
Thanks.
Malc. 
Thread: It is time to celebrate a 1st birthday
04/11/2010 18:35:14
Marc,
Wife and (at least) two daughters, not surprised that you have a workshop.
Keep your head down!
Malc.
Thread: Saw subject
30/09/2010 19:41:52
Julian,
I think that these "saw doctors" although skillful are not rocket scientists. They all had to start somewhere.
Why dont you give it a go.
Mlac.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Chris Tribe Furniture
Triton
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact