By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Oddjob

Here is a list of all the postings Oddjob has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: metabo bas260 swift
27/01/2014 16:06:13

You're telling us nothing here. How long have you had the saw? Did it work before you fitted the Tuffsaw blade? The retailer is bound by law to repair or replace something that was either faulty when sold or has not given a reasonable amount of service when used in accordance with good practice. The 14 days quoted means nothing.

Richard

Thread: Oak pelmets
17/01/2014 18:47:50

Great stuff as always Alan. I love pelmets but they're not really in fashion nowadays are they? TLOML said that ours had to go when we last decorated each room that had them. They are not really gone though! I've carefully stored them in the roof of my garage!winkThey'll be back I reckon.

Richard

Edited By Oddjob on 17/01/2014 18:48:13

Thread: Hall Console Table
03/01/2014 16:27:45

Lovely job Brian. Clean, neat design, great execution - another heirloom I reckon.

Richard

Thread: Deft T30 table saw
31/12/2013 13:27:33

Deft machinery is now made by Harvey's in China I think. Your English is excellent.

Richard

Thread: Happy New Year
31/12/2013 13:16:15

And I wish you all a healthy and happy New Year toococktail

Richard

Thread: Derek Lane's Woodewoker article
15/12/2013 09:23:59

Great contribution to the magazine Derek.

Richard

Thread: Something to get you thinking/a bit of fun
10/12/2013 13:29:31

(Ab)uses such as you mention are innumerable. I actually find mine very useful for measuring anything within the capacity of the rule and equally useful as guides for drawing short straight lines. They are also particularly useful when measuring internal dimensions where longer rules will not fit.

Richard

Thread: Bandsaw Guides, Discs V Rollers
07/12/2013 11:00:24

Follow your logic. "You know it makes sense!"

It is inevitable that bandsaw blades will contact the guides. The sides some of the time and the back almost always. Rollers offer less resistance to the blade therefore less friction - less wear to the blades and bearings and less energy used.

Richard

Thread: Tale of Woe,
26/11/2013 14:27:49

According to the thread KevM has given the address of, Intelligent Workshop is in administration. i.e. gone bust! So it is probably not "just a blip."

Hopefully Ivor, Paypal will compensate you. Otherwise it looks like you have lost your dosh.

Richard

Thread: Grandaughter Clock
18/11/2013 14:20:31

Excellent design and craftsmanship though I am unsure about the choice of sycamore. I think a close grained hardwood would look better - for me at any rate.

The glass looks as if it is has beveled edges? If so it is a very nice touch of class. If indeed it is beveled, where did you get it made?

Richard

Thread: My First Project
27/10/2013 16:36:10

Good work Mark - how do you get permission to do woodwork indoors? Not that I want to - I just want to know how to get approval for something like that!

Good video you provided the link to but oh! That terrible 'music.' Black Twig Pickers - I'll remember to avoid them.

Richard

Thread: Back to softwood
18/10/2013 13:12:17

Lovely job! That must be more satisfying (if not so financially rewarding) than MDF!

Richard

Edited By Oddjob on 18/10/2013 13:12:35

Thread: which blade
25/09/2013 19:38:55

If you regularly look at this and/or other forums you cannot have missed recommendations for Tuffsaws. It is so well recommended because, for hobbyists at any rate, absolutely the best.

http://tuffsaws.co.uk/

I use Trend table saw blades satisfactorily but only because they are what my local supplier stocks. I guess there are many more equally good suppliers.

Richard

Thread: GMC Power Tools (and MacAllister too actually)
14/08/2013 14:56:18
Posted by Big Al on 18/02/2013 07:56:25:

You get what you pay for, especially with tool's and machinery, buy cheap and you may regret your purchase and end up buying the more expensive model later on.

There is no better advice than this. Cheap tools are rarely accurate out of the box and setting them up is not a task for a beginner. Many would be woodworkers have fallen by the wayside because they though they couldn't do it well enough when the truth was that neither could a professional with the cheap kit they were using.

Richard

Edited By Oddjob on 14/08/2013 14:57:28

Thread: How Too
14/08/2013 14:50:14

There are several ways to mark out your square before cutting but for all you must start with one straight side. A handsaw will do the job just fine but if you have a table saw or circular saw then all the better. This is the most basic woodwork and something you must master before proceeding to make anything. This is just one method.

Use whatever you have with a straight edge to mark a line close to one of the ragged sides and cut alongside the line. Then use a try-square or similar to mark two lines at right angles to the straight edge you have made. These lines should be as close to the ends of your straight edge as the ragged edges will allow so as to maximise the size of your square board. Cut along these lines then you will have three sides of a square or rectangle. Mark the last side by marking a line at a right angle from one of the second two straight edges you cut earlier to the other. Cut along this line and you have a perfect rectangle or square from which to cut your finished shape.

Richard

Thread: Making a workshop in your back garden to make money
11/08/2013 18:59:00

The title of your post "Making a workshop in your back garden to make money" suggests that you want to run a business from home. First make sure that you have appropriate plannning permission. Most domestic properties don't have and so a "change of use" permission is required.

You go on to say "I still think I would need to get electricity into the shed." How do you run your all in one machine and power tools without electricity? Whether for hobby or professional use a new electrical installation has to be to modern standards and carried out by a qualified electrician - not cheap.

The other guys have warned you of the pitfalls of entering into self-employment - not easy. As an apprentice you would be well advised to obtain employment in an established business for a year or two before setting out on your own.

Richard

Thread: Dual curved-lid box
04/06/2013 09:31:02

That is one gorgeous looking box. Looking forward to seeing it polished.

Richard

Thread: Ash Box
04/06/2013 09:29:08

Very nice Derek - well proportioned.

Richard

Thread: Where do people buy their tools from
17/05/2013 13:23:26

Michael, I think you'll find that Brimarc and Axminster are one and the same nowadays,

Richard

Thread: new to woodworking
17/05/2013 13:08:03
Posted by mark drinkwater on 16/05/2013 21:58:34:

i did think it was going to be cheaper than buying one already built

Mark, with far Eastern productions and retailers like Ikea around you have no chance of achieving this with any wood product. You will, if you have a reasonable skill level, get a more robust unit for your money. Most importantly, for amateur woodworkers anyway, you will have a fantastic sense of achievement. Do it and love it I say!smiley

Richard

PS 63mm square will be ample for the legs and 20mm thick ample for the rails and any boards

Edited By Oddjob on 17/05/2013 13:15:45

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker!

Find Good Woodworking! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Chris Tribe Furniture
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Digital Back Issues

Good Woodworking Digital Back Issues The Woodworker Digital Back Issues

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact