By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Big Al

Here is a list of all the postings Big Al has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Need to replace switch on cutter
06/01/2017 07:26:38

Personally I would buy a new switch and fit it. If you ever need to cut the power to the tool quickly it's easier to let go of a switch than to find and turn off a switch which is on the power cable.

Al

Thread: Radiator cover
20/12/2016 07:08:06

Here is a radiator cover that I made for some friends of mine.

img_0535.jpg

img_0537.jpg

img_0536.jpg

Thread: Extractor Problems
06/12/2016 17:11:01

To be fair an extractor will never pick up anything dense and heavy. Even industrial ones never usually suck up screws or nails, just dust and shavings. The only time you hear a bang of any type is when a loose knot or dowel goes up the extractor.

Al

05/12/2016 07:29:41

I have had a couple of these extractors in the past and had the same problem. On the ones I had there, where the pipe attaches is a metal cross covering the blades which suck the debris into the extractor, which I assumed was for a safety reason. I just cut them out and never had the problem again.

Al

Thread: Danish oil
17/11/2016 06:53:29

No I wouldn't use it on a chopping board and to be honest I have only used an orange oil once many years ago and don't put anything on a chopping board these days.

Thread: Danish oil problems
24/10/2016 20:59:57

not something I have had a problem with, but then I usually use clear danish oil. It might sound a bit daft but did you shake the can before applying the oil?

Thread: Wooden Mullions replacement
09/09/2016 06:42:26

My only suggestion would be is to make them yourself and that way you can make as many as you need, and they would be a lot cheaper than buying them. Also its not as if there not difficult to make.

Al

Thread: DVD/CD Racking
07/09/2016 20:56:26

Hi after a quick search I found some from a London supplier, click here to go to the fittings on their web site.

Al

Thread: ERCOL coffee table split
04/08/2016 07:29:52

Personally all that I would do is to strip the finish back to bare wood and re finish it and not worry about the splits.

There is a big difference between white spirit and cellulose thinners, white spirits is used on oil based finishes such as danish oil and varnishes, whereas cellulose thinners are for cellulose lacquers and paints.

Al

Thread: table saw help
27/07/2016 05:38:48

I own both a table saw and a band saw and use the table saw the most. Both have their uses, and both have their plus and minus points. Hard to say which one I would choose over the other.

Al

Thread: With some sadness
28/05/2016 06:05:50

I too worked for myself for about 3 years and had to call it a day nearly 10 years ago and find a job, and looking back at it, it was the right thing to do at the right time. My furniture making has gone a lot further now that I make things for the sheer enjoyment of it rather than trying to make a living from it.

Al

Thread: Router Speed
11/03/2016 16:17:25

What determines how fast you run the router is the diameter of the bit that you are using. If you are using cutters up to 25mm diameter then the maximum speed is fine, but if your using a panel raiser or a large mitre lock cutter then you will need to slow down your router. The only other time that you may want to slow down your router is if you get burn marks, but this is usually a sign that the cutter is blunt and either needs sharpening or replacing.

Al

Thread: Best timber for gates
20/01/2016 21:37:47

The only problem with using oak is that you would need to use stainless steel fixings, normal zinc coated or steel ones will react with the tannin in the oak and stain it black.

Good alternatives are sapele or iroko, both are excellent timbers for external usage and if untreated will go silvery grey in time. Personally my own preference would always be to make a gate from hardwood, however there is nothing wrong with pressure treated especially if your on a budget or can't prepare the timber yourself.

Al

Thread: Mahogany Identification
21/11/2015 16:18:19

Just tried to look at your dropbox but it requires a sign in.

Thread: Sip 1444 bandsaw
08/11/2015 16:27:45

Just googled it and found a manual in PDF format on SIP's web site. Click here to go to it.

Al

Thread: Fit for a Princess
18/09/2015 19:34:44

Blooming amazing but I can't imagine the recipient getting much sleep on the first night.

Al

Thread: Oak Dinning Room Table how to do ends
15/09/2015 17:29:34

When I made my desk top I used the bread board method and wouldn't bother again. The main field of the top shrank in time and left a step at the ends, whereas every table that I have made since I have never used the bread board method and attach the top to the base with buttons which allow's movement.

Al

Edited By Big Al on 15/09/2015 17:29:50

Thread: Apprentices can't always be fooled
30/08/2015 14:46:49
Posted by Ron Davis on 29/08/2015 17:49:39:

PS Why, when I press the carriage return, does the cursor go to the top of the post, anything to do with windows 10?

Hi Ron

I have the same problem on my imac when using safari, but if I use google chrome it works ok.

Al

Thread: Pricng articles for craft fairs
21/08/2015 16:24:52

Good luck with pricing your work, I have never managed to get it right.

One lady once told me that most people fall into the PPP category, Pick it up, Put it down and then they P*@s off.

Al

Thread: Expanding Circular Dining Table
21/08/2015 16:19:38

Hi George

What an amazing table, love the way it expands.

First class job.

Al

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
D Cole Solutions
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Chris Tribe Furniture
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Digital Back Issues

Good Woodworking Digital Back Issues The Woodworker Digital Back Issues

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact