By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David A. Moody

Here is a list of all the postings David A. Moody has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Itching to do something
05/10/2017 01:15:41

Yep! Although choosing a project is not a problem, I've got those Christmas projects to work on, and a new tv unit which needs finishing, so plenty to keep me going.

**LINK**

04/10/2017 05:43:59

back to reading the magazine, and to dreaming of more enjoyable things to do methinks!

04/10/2017 05:42:04

Today I'm at my former workplace, as I was yesterday, and perhaps tomorrow, training current staff to do what I used to do when I worked here. Thank God I'm getting paid for it.

While I'm in-between tasks I have with me one of my magazines which I'm readying through. As much as I thoroughly enjoy reading them I sometimes find myself feeling unable to read them for too long because I get so wound up with excitement over ideas that I'm coming up with that are inspired by what I'm reading that I just want to get to work. But how can I? I'm sitting in a computer room helping staff conduct 4 sessions of MAP testing each day. I want to be at home working with wood!!!!!

Edited By David A. Moody on 04/10/2017 05:42:23

Thread: Wood framed cars?
04/10/2017 05:27:56

I found this article today, indicating a possible return of the use of some kinds of woods to be used in modern car frames: **LINK**

Just goes to show, the old ways are still the best ways!

Thread: Ash natural edge bowl
04/10/2017 05:26:04

Beautiful. Must have been tricky turning this up without loosing the beauty of the live edge.

Thread: Bandsaw boxes
04/10/2017 05:24:33

Very beautiful, well done

Thread: Christmas woodwork
30/09/2017 01:35:46

Hello Derek, thanks for the feedback and encouragement. I do intend to recess the glass insert, but first I need to find glasses that I can buy in bulk, measure them, and then try and find a forstner bit that is of suitable size. At the moment, just took that top photo for fun, wanted to get an idea what the finished product would be like.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

28/09/2017 14:50:44

Hello! I've decided to have a go at making decorations/gifts for Christmas, and I've got other ideas for other things as well. What do you think? Would stuff like this sell? The angel is not quite finished. It needs to be varnished, and I need to buy some glass tea light candle cups for all that I make. img_3801.jpg

img_3798.jpg

img_3796.jpg

Thread: Half track
28/09/2017 14:40:54

Very, very nice. Well done!

Thread: A small case for plastic?
26/09/2017 08:06:19

Hello everyone, a few weeks ago I did a little bit of recycling, and this new and improved teatowel rack was the result.

**LINK**

Thread: Marking Gauge
05/09/2017 16:39:50

I've been inspired by a few designs that I’ve been studying on the internet and finally plucked up the courage to make my own marking gauge. What do you think?

Click here to view the project on my blog: http://woodworking.david-moody.info/marking-gauge/

Edited By David A. Moody on 05/09/2017 16:40:41

Thread: painted hollow fortm
23/08/2017 10:53:30
Posted by dennis wake on 08/07/2017 22:52:16:

over a month ago I turned a hollow form that was still wet and moved dramatically. I thought it looked quirky but lacked something. so having got the airbrush and compressor I had to have a go at painting the form. I put it back on the lathe and ebonised it. then painted it with yes you got it JO Sonje iridescent. they are the same colour as I used on other forms but applied differently. the first photo is from when I turned it at first. all comments welcome.

Excellent recovery Dennis, well done.

Edited By David A. Moody on 23/08/2017 10:55:07

Thread: Advice on teaching woodworking to the underprivileged please
23/08/2017 10:50:47

Hello,

I lost my job a couple of months ago, downsizing... So far nothing else has come up, though I've sent out numerous applications.

Anyway, today, the pastor of my church asked me to consider teaching woodworking and carpentry skills to a community of under privileged young men and boys, Thai and Burmese, that live around a graveyard. His thoughts are to do fundraising for the tools, and provide the premises, while I provide the teaching etc. I do like the idea very much.

I have some thoughts on initial projects, like a carpenters tool box like this one: **LINK** and a mallet like one I've already made for myself and is lasting well: **LINK**

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about this? I notice from some articles in the magazine that some people have done this kind of thing already, but I sure would like to converse with someone who has done this kind of work.

Also, any idea on any other good projects that might work for these people?

Thanks,

David.

Thread: Dremel Moto-Saw advice
23/08/2017 10:43:25

Hello,

Has anyone had any experience with these: **LINK** ?

They are now available locally, and seem to be reasonably priced (3499 baht if I remember rightly, which is roughly 82 GBP).

I'm looking into buying a scroll saw, and this strikes me as possibly being a good starter tool in that direction. The only other options are fullsized bench mounted no-name Chinese products for a little more, or brandname products for at least three times that price.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Thread: Acorn Smoothing Plane
23/08/2017 10:38:40
Posted by Julian on 09/08/2017 12:16:34:

Hi Dave, I have seen these in the boot sales for a similar fee so probably not out of the way. My Son is living in Bangkok and says the same about tools it just adds to your luggage weight when going home, he tends to get his friends to take stuff out to him when they visit and get a free hotel ! -- Julian

Hello Julian,

Thanks for your response. Yes, luggage weight certainly is trial by fire lol, though I have managed to be able to bring some gems home that Dad has given me, including his Stanley Jack Plane a year or so ago. Friends are certainly very helpful! Three or four of my wedding guests back in 2006 brought my Christmas tree and all the decorations in bags, that was quite a task lol.

All the best,

Dave.

08/08/2017 22:14:27

Hello Mike and Derek, thanks for the feedback, quite encouraging. I do think that it could've been cheaper, but they don't bargain in that shop, and I don't really have enough time to shop around, so considering I cannot buy anything like that at all in Thailand I'm quite happy

07/08/2017 17:07:42

Hello, I'm coming to the end of my two and a half week holiday in England, and I've realized that I haven't posted about my small find last week at an antique store in Matlock.

**LINK**

I paid 15quid for it. I'm not sure if that was a good deal, they didn't want to bargain, but I'm happy with it all the same. Looking forward to trying it out when I get home. Has anyone used one of these? Any user experience tips you can offer?

Thanks,

David

Thread: DOUBLE SPRING POLE LATHE [PART 5 THE DRIVE-SHAFT]
01/07/2017 11:38:42

Hello, it's been absolutely ages since I last posted here, been out of action for a while, but not anymore, with the school year finished, and my job finished too (ugh) I'm now getting back to it!

So, after being set aside for several months, I finally got back into my spring pole lathe project, thanks to an old pestle!

**LINK**

Edited By David A. Moody on 01/07/2017 11:39:28

Thread: pyrography bowl
01/07/2017 11:06:11

Glad to hear that she loves it!

Thread: Yew Bowl
01/07/2017 10:56:35

that's beautiful, well done

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Chris Tribe Furniture
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact