By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jeremy Colman

Here is a list of all the postings Jeremy Colman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Best timber for gates
26/01/2016 09:08:25

Thanks again Mike. I had read the original article but the bit about painting together had passed me by. I think that I am inclined to hang the expense and go for hardwood. Painting together sounds like a good idea if one is the "foreman joiner" but not much fun if one is a member of the "rebellious elements in the shop". In my one-man shop I combine both roles and so could not win.

Jeremy

25/01/2016 22:34:46

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply. I don't like treated timber either for just the reasons you give. Iroko looks promising.

Jeremy

19/01/2016 12:09:45

I need to replace one single and one double gate that have now rotted away. I have seen pictures on this forum of some lovely gates, some from hardwood and some from softwood. My 1912 edition of Paul Hasluck's "Woodworking" recommends oak but notes that larch is cheaper but must have been felled at the right season. Does that advice still hold good? If I use oak will I need to apply wood preservative? Is anything wrong with using pressure treated softwood?

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Chris Tribe Furniture
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
D Cole Solutions
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Digital Back Issues

Good Woodworking Digital Back Issues The Woodworker Digital Back Issues

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact